Thursday, May 15, 2008

Airport Security

I was allowed to bring my metal knitting needles onto the plane, but my small, cheap, rounded tip craft scissors (which were given the green light on the security web site) were confiscated. Well, I guess I can see how knitting needles which I could use to stab someone through the neck would be considered no threat whereas the cheap rounded tip scissors could cause a minor scrape if I could manage to wield them correctly would be viewed as a security threat.

Do they really think we don't see the inconsistencies?

And while we're on airport security, I'm really starting to think that the liquid ban is just a conspiracy by the vendors in the airport to force us to buy beverages and full-size bottles of shampoo from them.

I really think all these security measures are a waste of time, money, effort, and our freedom. Especially when you consider that you're more likely to get killed walking across the street than in a terrorist attack.

So security screeners, please leave me and my craft scissors alone and let me bring a freakin' bottle of water into the bloody airport because it's not a bomb!

3 comments:

Emily RugBurn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily RugBurn said...

Ramen, Sister T-Ra! It's just another tactic designed to scare people into giving up their civil liberties. The 9/11 terrorists didn't have craft scissors (nail files, tweezers) or small bottles of liquid. And what's just as annoying is that they're constantly lifting bans on things. Why is it so important that we not bring these things on planes one week, but it's okay to bring them the next?... Further proof that it's all just a steaming pile of BS.

Don't know if you read boingboing.net or not (it's my homepage), but they have a plethora of stories about these kinds of ridiculousnesses (wow, that's actually a word - I thought I made it up!). Yesterday there were a few stories about photographers who were stopped from taking pictures in public places (the FBI actually tracked down one a pro stock photographer at his house!). I don't understand why citizens aren't up in arms about this kind of crap.

I saw a bumper sticker a few years -- I quote from often because it's SO damned relevant: "If you're not angry, you're not paying attention."

Slayermel said...

I find the fact that they did not see the knitting needles as more of a threat quite fascinating. Since I would use them as my weapon of choice for self defence if ever attacked, while with my craft bag.

As for the Airports, I too find the whole process just a giant waste of time. They spend so much time implementing all these stupid rules so it looks like they are busy doing something to protect us all from slim to nothing.