Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Cropped Sweater. WHY?

I have a whole "Dear Fashion Industry" post brewing, but for now, I'm just going to go directly to the issue of "short" or "cropped" sweaters.

In a world where 95% of the female population chooses not to expose their midsection 95% of the time (for a multitude of reasons), why oh why are so many tops (t-shirts, blouses, sweaters, etc...) hemmed so damn short? What is it with this continuing trend? A large majority of the tops I try on are rejected due to the simple fact that they expose too much flesh. (And by "too much" I mean "any at all"). And I take specific issue with cropped sweaters because their mere existence slaps logic right in the face: If it's cold enough to wear a sweater, it's too cold to expose your midriff. The same illogic can be applied to the whole "socks avec sandals" issue. It's not (just) that it looks ridiculous, but: If it's cold enough to wear socks, it's too cold for sandals.


I do realize that low and mid-rise jeans are contributing factors, but they don't make (fashionable) high-waisted jeans anymore because nobody wears them. (Except maybe moms.)

Wake up (sweater) designers of the world! The entire reason we wear sweaters is so we can keep warm. And we can't keep warm if our stomachs are exposed. Armed with my Macy*s card, I'm pretty confident I could single-handedly put an end to the current recession if designers would lengthen their
sweaters by a minimum of 3 inches. Thank you. And good night. /end rant

3 comments:

T-Ra said...

Ramen Sister, Ramen. I too have rejected many a shirt based on the distinct lack of fabric over the midsection. I wish to be able to raise my arms with the confidence that my shirt will not rise up far enough to expose my belly. Not to mention that with the low-rise jeans, the crop top exposes the area of the belly below the belly button and it's that area precisely that is most unattractive. Such a combination of low-rise and crop can make even a fit person look fat but unfortunately many of the people choosing to do this aren't fit and the rolls are hanging out. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with rolls, but why do we want to display them in such an unflattering way.

And while we're on the topic of crop sweaters, another top I don't understand is the turtle neck sweater tank top. There are many that look really nice, but if I'm hot enough to wear a tank top, the last thing I want is to have it made like a thick sweater with a thick turtle neck. Just thinking about it makes me terribly uncomfortable.

Slayermel said...

The Cropped Sweater....WoW Can you say 80's flash back. :0)

They had their time and place and then time moved on. Some things are best left in the past.

I too wonder about the whole mid-drift being exposed during colder weather when you need to be wearing a sweater. Unless this falls under the ever confusing topic for me as to why Men wear sweaters to Clubs... Hello!!!! your sweating and now you stink, how is that helping you score with a girl.... but anyway, let's not side track ourselves, that's a whole other rant :0P

T-Ra I'm so glad you brought up the low cut Jeans, and wearing clothing that actually fits you.

Seriously people..... Buying a small does not make you small, it makes you a dumb ass! Maybe if you tended to buy your own size more often the stores would not order ridiculous amounts of the cloths in the smaller sizes. They would order more in the let's say L and up size bracket as that's really what should be selling. Let's face it the North American Population does not average a size Small. I would say L would be the average.

T-Ra said...

That picture totally creeps me out every time I look at it.